Wednesday, September 26, 2018

The Martian

By Andy Weir
I was delighted when we unwrapped this penultimate book from the book club this year. It's been sitting on my shelf for a year now, just waiting.
For the past month I had two copies in my house. My boy and I read it at the same time. Well, when I say "the same time" my boy obviously polished it off in three days and I'm still, 24 days later, finishing it off.
I loved it. A book with some action, brilliant.
Now that we've both read the book we might well watch the movie.

Do you think it'll ruin the book? 

Synopsis  

I'm stranded on Mars.

I have no way to communicate with Earth.
If the Oxygenator breaks down, I'll suffocate.
If the Water Reclaimer breaks down, I'll die of thirst.
If the Habitat breaches, I'll just kind of explode.
If none of those things happen, I'll eventually run out of food and starve to death.

I'm screwed.

Author

Andrew Taylor Weir is an American novelist whose debut novel, The Martian, was later adapted into a film of the same name directed by Ridley Scott in 2015. He also worked as a computer programmer for much of his life. He received the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 2016. Wikipedia

Other Books

The Martian (2011)
Artemis (2017)

Study Guides

The Martian: Classroom Edition Teacher’s Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment