Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House

By Michael Wolff
I must confess that when I finally got to read this book it felt somewhat out of date. My sister and I have a tradition of getting each other a some strange book that we would not otherwise buy. Here was her choice for last Christmas, for me. It's taken me all this time to get to.

Having read it now I have a deeper appreciate of how hard it might be for all those working in the White House right now. it all seems so unpredictable. The rules of decorum seem to have shifted, it certainly reads as if there is a lack of a compass in the White House right now...

Having said that, all I know of White House politics is from The West Wing, Madame Secretary and Designated Survivor and I know some would just call that a bunch of idealistic, left-wing clap trap.

Synopsis

Almost everyone in the Trump campaign thought of themselves as clear-eyed and realistic. The unspoken agreement among them: not only would Donald Trump not be president, he should probably not be. Conveniently, the former conviction meant nobosy had to deal with the latter issue.
As the campaign can to an end, Trump himself was sanguine. His longtime friend Roger Ailes liked to say that if you wanted a career in television, first run for president. Now Trump, encouraged by Ailes, was floating rumors about a Trump network. It was a great future.
He would come out of this campaign, Trump assured Ailes, with a far more powerful brand and untold opportunities. "This is bigger than I ever dreamed of." he told Ailes in a conversation a week before the election. "I don't think about losing because it isn't losing. We've totally won." What's more, he was already laying down his public response to losing the election: It was stolen!
Donald Trump and his timy band of campaign warriors were ready to lose with fire and fury. They were not ready to win.

Author

No comments:

Post a Comment